08 October 2013

HOODIA MACRACANTHA

HOODIA MACRACANTHA may be one of the easiest to cultivate Hoodias.

I wanted to present it in the way the american and british succulent plants lovers exhibit their plants at their exhibitions. So I chose a Bonsai like ceramic container.



As Hoodias are sensible to rot by mould I use pure pumice as a substrate. I layed a cover of broken Quarz on it to prevent the pumice from "flowing away" when watering the plant and to mimic the natural habitat.

The growing period is the same as for my cacti. The same is true for the culture of my Hoodias.

I put them outside in April or May when the temperature will be above 15 C. They stay outside until autumn when temperature will drop under 15 C.

They stay unprotected from rain and sun. Only if the temperature will be under 15 C I give a protection from rain.

Fertilizing and watering follows the same scheme as for my cacti.


No comments:

Post a Comment