24 January 2015

SEEDLING

My plant is a 5 year old seedling of RHYTIDOCAULON MACROLOBUM SSP MACROLOBUM. I have bought it at a succulent fair and cultivating the plant since 2 years.

substrate
The plant stands in my normal mineral substrate mix of cause without any peat or humus. I covered the surface with coarse GRANIT.

culture
The culture is the same as for cacti and succulents generally speaking.

Plants of the family ASCLEPIADACEAE are more susceptible to mould and rot as other succulents. So the culture of them has to take this sensibility into account.
Too much water and too much sun together with too much cool temperatures have to be avoided.

sun
I put the plant after the "EISHEILIGEN", around mid May, outside on the balcony. The first 4 weeks or so the plant stands at a half-shaded place and will adopt to the "hard sun". After adaptation I give the plant the sunniest place. One other plant will stand at the half-shaded position throughout the whole summer and autumn. I try to find out what would be the most preferable culture to please this species. And I am interested too to find out how the look of the species might change under the influence of too much light.
In nature, the younger plants allways stand half-shaded, mostly under the shelter of some other "guardian plant" or "mother plant".

water
When the growing season begins I spray the plant mildly and after 4 weeks or so I do start to water it. Watering will be done once a week or every 2 weeks depending how sunny and warm the weather will be. Fertilizer will be added allways but in a very very low concentration. Generally speaking I "underwater" the plants more than "overwatering" them. This is my precautionary measure to avoid the occurrence of mould and rot.

summer & winter
The growing period starts in April or May and lasts until mid or end of October. The plant will show when growth is starting.
From October or November to April or May the plant stands on the sunniest window and temperature will not undergo 10 C.
I do not water the plant from underneath. Some growers do so once a month or so. Doing so this should prevent the plant from loosing a greater part of its roots. I am reluctant doing so because I really do fear loosing my plants by mould.












No comments:

Post a Comment